Dear GAP user,
we are planning a workshop
PROGRAMMING IN GAP
on GAP internals.
It will take place at Lehrstuhl D f"ur Mathematik, RWTH Aachen, Germany
from Mon, 2 Sep 1996 to Fri, 6 Sep 1996.
Its purpose is to provide interested users with the knowledge needed to
write GAP code that is efficient and integrates well with GAP's library.
It will be based on GAP 4, for which we plan to have a pre-release
available by then.
In five morning sessions we will present
* how (and why) GAP 4 organizes all objects into families and kinds,
* how one implements new kinds of elements in GAP 4 (e.g. sparse polynomials),
* how one implements new kinds of domains in GAP 4 (e.g. Lie algebras),
* how the GAP 4 kernel works and how one can add new internal functions,
* general tips and tricks how to use GAP 4 more efficiently.
The afternoons are reserved for
* demonstrations (e.g. of the GAP 4 compiler),
* informal discussions,
* talks and presentations by participants.
We expect participants to know GAP fairly well. They should
* have written a fair bit of GAP 3 code,
* understand what a domain is in GAP 3,
* understand the purpose of operations records in GAP 3,
* probably have a good knowledge of C
(at least if they want to understand how the kernel works),
* be willing to experiment with a pre-release of GAP 4
(which will not be ready for a general release).
We must limit the number of participants to about 24.
Since we plan to start early Monday and to end late Friday,
we suggest that participants arrive Sunday and leave Saturday.
There is no fee for the workshop. Participants should try to find
sources to cover their expenses, since we have only a very limited
amount of money to support participants. We will try to help
participants to find reasonable and inexpensive accomodations.
In particular for participants that register early we can reserve
rooms in an IBIS hotel for DM 88/night, respectively DM 44/night
if two participants share such a room.
If you are interested or if you have suggestions, please write to
If you like to register, please send us your
* date of arrival:
* date of departure:
* kind of accomodation wanted:
o bed and breakfast in private home,
o single room in IBIS hotel @ DM 88/night,
o shared room in IBIS hotel @ DM 44/night
Steve Linton and Martin Sch"onert.
-- .- .-. - .. -. .-.. --- ...- . ... .- -. -. .. -.- .- Martin Sch"onert, Martin.Schoenert@Math.RWTH-Aachen.DE, +49 241 804551 Lehrstuhl D f"ur Mathematik, Templergraben 64, RWTH, 52056 Aachen, Germany