The GAP installer for Windows provides a standard installation procedure
that will guide you through all steps of the installation process.
It is created and maintained by Alexander Konovalov. The installer is
(Nullsoft Scriptable Install
System) - an open source tool for building installers for Windows.
To install GAP and packages, you need to download the following file:
(330 MB, md5 checksum 838a59a4b46481c7e33da11f86743b2f): The core GAP system and all currently redistributed GAP packages (including Windows binaries)
- launch the downloaded file
- read the license agreement
- select components to install
- enter destination folder (C:\gap4r7 by default)
- install files
Please note that the path to the GAP directory should not contain spaces. For example,
you may use GAP in a directory like C:\gap4r7
, but you should not install it in a directory like
or C:\Users\alex\My Documents\gap4r7
How it works?
GAP Installer for Windows:
How to uninstall GAP?
- unpacks the archive in the selected folder
- adjusts *.bat files accordingly to the installation folder
- creates shortcuts in the Start Menu
- stores some information in the Windows registry
(so you will be able to see GAP in the list of installed programs)
- puts uninstaller to the GAP root directory
- creates gap.ini file in the Windows directory (to store GAP
version, GAP root directory and GAP packages directory)
To uninstall GAP, you have three options:
- Control Panel --> Install and Uninstall --> Remove GAP
- launch uninstall.exe in the GAP root directory (gap4r7)
- launch "Uninstall" in the GAP folder of the Start Menu
any of these actions will remove all GAP folders and all files in the
GAP root directory, except those folders that were created by yourself in
the GAP root directory (if such exist). if necessary, you can remove the
folder manually afterwards.
How can I add new components, for example, new packages, to GAP?
Launch the installer again and select components again,
checking all components that you need now (all previously installed components
will be overwritten).
Can I have several GAP installations on my computer?
Of course, you can, but the GAP Installer for Windows
will configure your system only for the most recent installation.
Supported operating systems
GAP Installer for Windows was successfully tested under Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
It may work with other Windows versions as well. We would be interested to know about any positive or
negative experiences with it.
Feedback and support
If you have any questions about the GAP Installer for Windows,
please contact Alexander Konovalov (alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Please also visit the GAP Homepage
for further information about the GAP system.
Last modified: 28 February 2014